Monday 2 July 2012

Bursting With Pride

My home country was quite the place to be this past week. Not just because yesterday was Canada Day, but for the LGBT community and its Allies, it was Pride Week, particularly in Toronto, Ontario. There was also a Pride celebration in the Hammer recently as well.

Many people view Pride in different ways. I choose to see Pride as a celebration of both difference and unity, a time when everyone can come together to celebrate the human spirit as one, while as a whole fight homophobia. 

I must confess, I've never been to Pride. I was once asked to go by one of my closest friends. I had said yes, that I'd join him, and then something came up on his end, and we didn't end up going. That being said, if he ever asks me again to join him, of course I would go. He's my longest-standing friend, our dearest friends are also our family, and there are some things you do for family without a second thought.

I remember when that specific friend came out to me a few years ago. He was really nervous about doing so. Even though he knew I wouldn't think any different of him, he still wasn't sure what my reaction would be. When he came out to my family, my mother hugged him, and then we all told him that he was still loved the same as always. As for me, I don't know who was in deeper denial about him being gay (him or me), but I can tell you that while many other people weren't surprised, I was shocked. But, after we laughed over my foolishness for a few minutes, we had a serious conversation. In his culture, being homosexual is punishable by death, particularly stoning. Think what you want of me, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I let anyone harm him for his sexual preferences. And even if it is a cold day in hell? I'm Canadian. I'm built to withstand the cold. And same for the rest of you who are members of the LGBT community. I will ALWAYS stand by your side, and treat you as equals.

I'm certain you've all heard about the bullying going on in schools, and the number of kids who are choosing suicide because they can't take the abuse anymore. Well, I can tell you of at least one high school that has chosen to fight back: Saltfleet District High School (my former high school). My sister Allie is one of the founding members of Saltfleet's Positive Spaces club. I'm not sure who chose to start it, but my sister joined it because one of her dearest friends is homosexual. The Positive Spaces group was for everyone who felt out of place, and needed somewhere to belong. It was where the LGBT kids could feel a sense of comfort, and openly discuss their sexuality without judgement. The world needs more people and places like this. My sister may not be in high school anymore, but last I heard, the Positive Space club was still in operation.

Perhaps I'm naive, as I will never understand homophobia. As far as I'm concerned, we are all people. We all live. We all breathe. We all feel, and if someone feels comfort and compassion with a member of the same gender, who the hell cares? So long as the relationship that person is in is caring, and built out of love, trust and respect, why should others feel the need to make it their (negative) business? As far as I'm concerned, and my family thinks the same way, what two consenting people choose to do in private is no one's business but their own, and if you want to marry, we will support you. If people could put as much effort into getting along as they do into hatred and discrimination, this world, our world, would be a much better place.


 For more on the subject, please refer to my October 2011 posts, "Why So Homophobic?" and "Why So Homophobic?: Part II".


No comments: