Friday 13 July 2012

Friday the 13th

For those in North America with a motorcycle, particularly Southern Ontario, especially within a few hours of Lake Erie, today is their day. Every Friday the 13th, thousands upon thousands of people with their motorbikes make their way to Port Dover (on Lake Erie) for what is quite possibly the biggest bike rally the world has ever seen. According to The Hamilton Spectator, roughly 150 000 bikes are expected for this year. As this one has come in July, I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

A few years ago (ok, maybe more than a few... I can't remember if it was before my move to Thunder Bay, or after I returned back home), I attended a Friday the 13th rally. No, I didn't have a bike to ride out (the best I've done is a dirt bike I used to ride when I was younger before I outgrew it), but I do have an aunt who lives in Dover. People can get in and out of the town with their four-wheeled vehicles on the Thursday and the Saturday, but the Friday is so busy, that unless you have a motorbike, or the three-wheel equivalent, you're not going anywhere, and I don't think you're allowed to for the day anyway. But I must say that it was quite the experience to sit on her front lawn, and watch a never-ending line of motorbikes enter the town. Walking down to Main St to look at a fraction of them would leave you rubbing elbows with the person next to you. It was all bikes for as far as the eye could see.

Back when I was in grade 12, I did my co-op at Peninsulair, which was a flight school at the Hamilton Airport. Sure enough, Friday the 13th came around while I had my co-op. It was either in May or June, I can't quite remember. What I can remember, though, is one of the PA-140 Cherokees was fresh out of the shop with some brand-spankin'-new parts, and it's reintroduction to the sky was a flight to Port Dover to check out all the bikes. I had been asked if I wanted to go along. Methinks the answer is quite obvious with that one. There were three of us in the Cherokee, and another three or four people in the PA-160 Warrior, and off we went to fly over Dover for part of the afternoon (best co-op day ever). That, I must say, was an interesting experience. Everything was so shiny and bright, you weren't exactly sure where the lake ended and the bikes began, the metal and water were glistening so much.

If you're wanting to take part in Friday the 13th, but you have no means of getting there, or you simply live too far away, follow the link I'm attaching for the official Friday the 13th site from Port Dover. There are pictures, facts and pieces of history surrounding the event, as well as a link for a live video feed.

Happy Friday the 13th, everyone!


Friday the 13th link below:
http://www.pd13.com/content/1/Home

No comments: