Friday 27 July 2012

Olympic Junkie

I'm very excited for today. Actually, I'm very excited for the next few weeks. The Olympic Opening Ceremonies are tonight, and I can hardly wait! My mum and I will have ourselves planted in front of the television (I know, shame on us), trying to take in as many events as possible. Even though we prefer the Winter Olympics, the Summer Games are pretty good too.

One of my favourite Olympians will be making what I believe is her final Olympic appearance: Clara Hughes. She started off as a cyclist back in... '96, I believe... won a couple of medals, and then swapped to long track speed skating where she won a few more. Now she's back on the bike. Let's see if she can set another record, and add to her six total medals. She's the only Olympic athlete, in the world, I think, to have won medals in both summer and winter. She really is amazing.

Simon Whitfield, a triathlete, will be Canada's flag bearer for the opening ceremonies. When triathlon first became an Olympic event, he won the gold it's opening year. I wonder how he'll do this time around?

I'm hoping Alexandre Despatie does well with diving. He usually does, but he recently hit his head off a diving board in practice. Though he said he's recovered, and ready to compete, hopefully the stitches have done their work, and won't negatively impact his performance.

In Beijing in 2008, Adam van Kooverdon was on track to medal with the rowing, but fell short, and ended up fourth. I hope he's able to redeem himself this year.

I'm not sure what else I'll watch. Probably a little bit of everything. That aside, good luck to the countries who read this, and of course, GO CANADA, GO!

No comments: