Monday 2 July 2012

An "Oh, Canada!" Celebration

Last night, like many years before, my family and I made our way to the ArcelorMittal Dofasco Rec Park for Canada Day festivities. Like every year, the party didn't disappoint. There were games and activities, more so for the kids, a photo booth, free mini putt, and assorted musical acts.

Every year comes with a musical tribute/ impersonator. Past acts, all of which I've enjoyed immensely, include Abba Gold (Abba), Stayin' Alive (BeeGees), Shania Twin (Shania Twain), but the best by far are The Caveners (Beatles tribute). I'm not exactly a Beatles fan (I think they're overrated and mediocre), but The Caveners are fantastic, and I'd even dare to say that they've been my fave tribute act at the park. Last night was a Michael Jackson impersonator. I must admit that even though I prefer Prince over MJ, the Jackson tribute was quite well done.

For as much as I enjoy the afternoon's activities, and the musical acts, the fireworks display is always the best part. However, last night's Canada Day fireworks display was amazing! It's always top notch, but this year was the best yet. They really outdid themselves, and I loved it!

The rec park always sets their fireworks to music, and I don't know how they're going to top this year's score. Sure, fireworks exploding to James Bond is pretty awesome, and West Side Story has some excellent music, but there's something about the grand finale, the biggest explosions, and most spectacular in-air display being set to the theme from Star Wars. As I'm a Star Wars freak (see my May post titled "May the Fourth Be With You"), this definitely made me very happy. My mum had commented earlier today that she wasn't sure what Star Wars had to do with Canada, so drawing at straws, I told her that a Canadian played Anakin Skywalker in two of the prequels. But I was still more than content either way.

Well, for those of you who live in this great nation, or are from the great white north, I hope you had yourself a fantastic Canada Day as well. If not, you missed out on one hell of a party! 

No comments: