Thursday 19 July 2012

Quail of a Tale

As you all likely know, I've been job hunting a lot lately. Just in this past week, I've had three interviews. One didn't go anywhere, I had a follow-up with one today, and I'll hear my fate about the other next week. I didn't think I'd ever classify a follow-up interview as delicious, but today, it definitely makes sense.

I had a meeting at the Oakville campus of Liasion College, which, for those of you who don't know, is a private culinary school (it's geared a bit more for those who are mid to late twenties+. Not that they're particular about ages, but it's a case of if you attend a more public college, at least there would be extra curricular activities, however, if you're looking at changing careers, it's the sort of place you'd want to attend). I was introduced to the head chef, and the students who were there. One of the students, who's in the advanced program, was making quail. I was informed that if I was still around, I'd get to give it a try. What you need to know is I've never had quail before, and I wasn't quite sure what to expect... if I hadn't left yet, that is.

Well, I was having my follow-up, everything's going well, and then there was a knock at the door. Sure enough, just like the student had said, he brought in a small plate with the quail he'd prepared for the interviewer and I to share, and some cutlery. I can say that my first quail experience was quite good. It was slightly gamey, but not in a bad way. I think that's how it's supposed to taste. I swear, the quails looked like over-sized chicken wings. But then, I didn't really know how big or small they were to begin with.

So that's my story. Taking the position at the college would mean that I'd be very well fed. And the best part is apparently Mondays are baking days. I'm thinking my arm could possibly be twisted.

No comments: